The advent of rampant economic growth has lead to a frightful increase in the amount of greenhouse gas emission. This in turn accelerates the pace of climate change across the world. Simply put, our ice caps are melting faster than they should and temperatures are now starting to swing to extremes.
Scientists across the world are quick to raise alarm and are now predicting a large and inevitable natural catastrophe. The only alternative we are faced with is to reduce our emissions and start growing green.
As the saying goes – a picture is worth a thousand words, and here are 27 of the most powerful photographs to reiterate the seriousness of our collective reality.
1. A bird’s eye view over the metropolis of Mexico City with over 20 million citizens.
2. The lack of humanity with which this elephant has been killed by a poacher and left to rot.
3. The amount of pollution that is being emitted by a single power plant.
4. Paths taken by air crafts over the overcrowded London airport.
5. Maldives, a once sought after tourist destination now faces the threat of rising sea levels.
6. Opening time on Black Friday following Thanksgiving in Boise, Idaho, USA.
7. The melting of a frozen waterfall, a sign of global warming that cannot be ignored.
8. The desert in Nevada, USA that serves as a dump yard of used tires.
9. A wave full of trash being ridden by an Indonesian surfer Dede Surinaya in Java, Indonesia.
10. The dump site for electronics in several developing countries.
11. The sight of a hill in Canada that once boasted a mighty forest, now bare.
12. All efforts to put out a fire that broke out miles away from Fukushima in vain.
13. Proof of how the Earth has been over used in an oil field in California, USA.
14. A polar bear that starved to death due to the decrease in its habitat as a result of melting ice caps.
15. A view over one of the most overpopulated cities in the world – New Delhi, India (over 22 million people residing.)
16. A decayed albatross that shows the articles it has consumed in the recent past.
17. Goats fleeing from their place of grazing due to a forest fire.
18. The skin of an endangered Siberian tiger being flaunted by poachers.
19. This is the amount of energy that is being consumed by downtown Los Angeles on any given night.
20. The Mir mine in Russia is so large that small air crafts and helicopters cannot fly over it without the risk of being dragged in due to the strong air currents.
21. A forest fire that has erupted in Colorado that is due to it’s climate being drier than usual.
22. A farmer unable to fight the rancid stench from the Yellow River, Mongolia.
23. An aerial view of greenhouses in Almeria, Spain. For them all to function, they will demand a great deal of energy.
24. A truck carrying copious amounts of oil sand that will require a great deal of energy to convert into fuel.
25. The remnants of mines after mining for oil sands in the Canadian province of Alberta.
26. How trash is disposed in Bangladesh.
27. The destruction of a 1000 year old forest to build a dam in Oregon, USA.