Let’s face it. There are weird things about every country in the world. Read these crazy facts about Japan and we’re sure that it will get you planning your next trip to The Land of the Rising Sun. After all, a country that encourages you to slurp your noodles loudly and nap during work sounds AWESOME, doesn’t it!
1. You can go to a ‘cuddle café’ to sleep next to a girl. No sex allowed!
2. Karaoke is a Japanese word which means ‘empty orchestra’.
3. ‘Blackface’ is a trend where people rebel against the traditional beauty standards of light skin over dark.
4. Japanese kids consider it cool to have crooked teeth called ‘yaeba’.
5. Want to compliment your chef? Slurp your noodles!
6. Capsule hotels for easy overnight stays.
7. The winner of ‘Hadaka Matsuri’ or the naked festival gets a year of happiness!
8. Raw horse meat or ‘basashi’ is a delicacy in Japan.
9. Japanese schools don’t have janitors. The children clean up by themselves!
10. There are special shoes for the bathroom.
11. They don’t mind – in fact they love it – when you nap at work! Score.
12. Clasping your hands in the shape of a gun and poking someone in the butt is normal.
13. Japan holds the record for the world’s shortest escalator.
14. Aokigahara is the second most popular place in the world for suicides. The first is Golden Gate Bridge.
15. Founded in 578 AD, Kongo Gumi Co., Ltd. is the oldest company in the world.
16. The Japanese chug down insane amounts of coffee.
17. They changed their constitution in World War II to include peace.
18. The Japanese don’t believe in severance fees. They prefer torturing their employees until they quit!
19. Love hotels can be rented by the hour. Yep, they’re exactly what you think.
20. Many Japanese men don’t leave their rooms for a loooong time.
21. Japanese women used to die their teeth black.
22. 98% of all adoptions are men between the ages of 20 – 30.
23. A musk melon can sell up to $300.
24. KFC is one of the most popular Christmas hangouts!
25. The literacy rate is almost a 100%.
26. Fugu is a poisonous fish that could kill anyone who eats it. It takes 11 years to become a trained Fugu chef.
27. 70% of the country is mountainous and has 2 volcanoes.
28. Okunoshima is an island filled with rabbits!
29. A 593-pound tuna was sold in Japan for $735,000!
30. You can go to a restaurant and order food from a can.